Thursday, August 13, 2009

Black Bottom Cupckes


I have seen this recipe in quite a few cookbooks, but since my mom has made these cupcakes my whole life, I will contribute this recipe to my mom! I have a deep love for cream cheese. When I think about my favorite things to eat, each has cream cheese as an ingredient! When I was little I would even sneak cream cheese from the refrigerator and eat it by the spoonful. And since these chocolate cupcakes have a delicious cream cheese center - of course they're my favorite. They are so good they don't even need to be iced. And since they don't have icing, I sometimes tell myself they are really muffins so that it's okay for me to eat one (or two) for breakfast!!

My little taste tester. Don't worry - no eggs in the chocolate better!

Hannah & I have made these a few ways. I like to use food coloring to color the cream cheese filling orange for Halloween & Hannah will color coordinate her center for whatever holiday or occasion it is. I have also made these in mini muffin pans to serve as a finger food. Whatever color, whether big or small these are delicious!

For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 T vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

For the filling:
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp salt
1 (6 oz) pkg. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, & salt. Stir in water, oil, vinegar, & vanilla. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin pans 1/2 full. Combine cream cheese & sugar, creaming until light & fluffy. Add egg & salt beating well. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon heaping spoonful into center of each cupcake. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Makes 18 cupcakes.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails